Friday, January 8, 2010
Totes
Since I've had a really good response to my food storage post I thought I would post something that I learned and a good sale to help you get started. One of my first concerns with getting bags of wheat, beans, sugar, flour etc. was how to store all of these things. So I did some research and found that most people suggested placing these items in plastic totes. If you at my shelf pictures in the previous post you can see the totes on the very bottom. Right now I have wheat, dried beans, sugar and top ramen stored in these totes. I buy the 18-gallon size and I can fit 100 pounds of wheat in one of these (4-25 pound bags). If you don't have much room you can store these in the back of a closet or even in the garage, just tape around the lid to make sure there aren't any openings and you shouldn't have any problems with bugs. I wanted to share this with you because right now Walmart has these totes on sale for $3.40 so even if you don't have anything to put in them right now, you may want to buy these at a good price and then you'll have them on hand when you are ready to put food in them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Thanks for the info! That is a good price!
That is a good price for totes. I love totes and I store everything in them. Thanks for the info.
put some bay leaves inside the tote also and you will have added repellant for bugs. They hate bay leaves
True mom and I also learned that iodized salt will do the same thing (and it's cheaper)
Post a Comment