Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Year

Welcome 2010! 2009 was a crazy year for us including Devon getting laid off from the oilfield, having a new baby, Devon getting a job in Black foot where he had to commute 45 minutes one way everyday, then he got a job with a company in Salt Lake called CPS. He love s his new job and we are grateful that the offer came when it did and we know that our Heavenly Father answers prayers. Not necessarily when or how we want but through this last year my testimony has grown to the fact that I know my Father in Heaven is watching out for us and knows what we need when we need it.

Right before Devon got laid off we were having a conversation about him buying a new snowmobile and I was a little upset that he wanted to buy a new toy when we didn't have our savings built up and when we didn't have our year supply of food. I tried explaining this to him and his answer was "I'm not worried my job is secure we can build our food storage and savings later." Two days later Devon lost his job. Throughout the last year we learned first hand how important it is to have food storage, an emergency savings account, etc and during this time I also became extremely obsessed with food storage. I have done so much research on what we need, how to set up your storage, how to cook from your storage, good prices on different food items, 72-hour kits and so on and so on. I love learning about this because I know that it is important and life would have been a little easier had we had our food storage in place. With that said I had a wonderful Christmas because my parents surprised me and got me a wheat grinder. I bought a bunch of wheat this last year but I haven't been able to use it because I didn't have a grinder. Yeah for my grinder and thank you mom and dad, it was the best present ever! Another problem I had with building my food storage was I didn't have any where to store the extra food I was accumulating. We have a room in the basement that is going to be a food storage room but I didn't have shelves, so that's what I asked Devon to give me for Christmas and he did. Yeah for a food storage Christmas! Seriously, it was awesome. Below are pictures of my shelves and my wheat grinder. My number 1 goal for this year is to have as close to my year supply of food as I can. The last picture is a picture of my deep freezer full of beef! Our neighbor was taking some cows to the butcher and he asked us if we wanted some. Of course we said yes and he asked if we wanted a half a cow or a quarter of a cow. Since we had never butchered a cow before we said a half and now my entire freezer is packed and even part of my refrigerator freezer. I guess I can check a year supply of meat off my list (I think I may have more like 2 years of meat) and you can't beat the price of 45 cents a pound.


Since food storage is my number one goal for 2010 I may post from time to time different things that I am doing to accomplish this goal. I hope this doesn't bore any of you and hopefully I may even inspire some of you to get your food storage in order.

"In the day of Plenty, prepare for the day of scarcity." Message from the First Presidency, Conference report April 1942

11 comments:

Lori said...

Awesome! We are still behind in food storage - we need some work. Looking forward to learning from you.

Ellen said...

Great job honey! We can all learn from you and your example!

Cody and Tami said...

Awesome goal! Food storage is sooo important. I love my wheat grinder I wish I had electric one too.

Unknown said...

I think food storage is so fun! My new thing has been canning. I love canning and I love that I know EXACTLY what my family is eating. I love your shelves!

C Tam said...

You are my hero! Tha's so cool that Devon made you shelves.

Juliette said...

That is great, and yes you inspired me, I just wish I had the storage space to begin. Keep it up!

Ashley said...

Have you ever seen the I Love Lucy episode where she orders a whole side of beef, without having any idea of how much meat that is? Sounds just like you! Except you have the perfect space for it.

We don't even have any extra rooms, just cupboards, but we do what we can. I'm proud of you!

Beth said...

That is so great! I am in awe of you! Keep up the good work. This summer I will have plenty of apricots and apples if you want to come and get some. Jen made the best apricot jam and we had so many apricots that went to waste! I'd love for someone to be able to use them!

Deon said...

Ashley took the words right out of my mouth about the I Love Lucy episode--I immediately thought about that as I read that you didn't realize how much meat came with 1/2 of a cow. You are inspiring! You are inspiring me to really get serious about my food storage. I have the wheat, just not a grinder. A lot of good that will do us :( Keep up the good work!

Spring said...

I LOVE your shelves!! Devon that is what I want for my birthday or Christmas present. I got it, how about Devon make us shelves and that will count as our Christmas present when you guys have our name in about 3 years. :) Seriously though Jamie, that is so awesome. Way to go!

The Jensen's said...

Wow, good job! That makes me want to start working on my own food storage. I'm excited to hear about all the things you're doing to build it up!